National Overseas Scholarships for ST Students
(Note: Following information is according to the notification for the year 2014-15)
It is a Central Scheme to provide financial assistance to meritorious students for pursuing higher studies in foreign university in specified files of Master Level Courses, Ph.D and Post-Doctoral research programmes, in various field of study. The Scheme was introduced during the year 1954-55 and has since been revised from time to time. This was Non-Plan Scheme, which became a Plan Scheme from 2007-08. The scholarship is available to students belonging to the following categories-
|Sl. No.||Category||No. of Scholarship||No. of Passage Grant|
|2.||Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PTG)||03|
Passage Grant: For the passage grant only those candidates are eligible who possess a Master or equivalent degree in Technical, Engineering and Science disciplines and are in receipt of merit scholarship for Post Graduate studies, Research or Training abroad (excluding attending seminars, workshops, conferences).
Field of Study: Broadly, the subjects/disciplines in which courses may be undertaken for grant of award are listed below:
|Name of Field of Study||Subjects included|
|1.||Engineering and Medicine||
1. Bio-technology/Genetic Engineering 2. Industrial Environmental Engineering 3. Nano-Technology 4. Marine Engineering 5. Petro-Chemical Engineering 6. Plastic Technology 7. Cryogenic Engineering 8. Mechatronics 9. Automation Robotics in including Artificial Intelligence 10.Laser Technology 11.Radiology 12.Low Temperature Thermal Dynamics 13.Dock and Harbour Engineering 14.Imaging System Technology 15.Composite Materials Engineering including Decentralised Power Distribution(for Solar Heat) system, Energy Storage Engineering, Energy Conservation, Energy Efficient Habitat Engineering 16.Packaging Engineering./Technology 17.Nuclear Engineering 18. Information Technology including Computer Engineering, Software, Software Quality Assurance, Networking/Connectivity Engineering, Communication System under Hazardous or Post disaster conditions, Multi-media Communication 20. Industrial Safety Engineering 21. Neurology 22. Pediatrics 23. Psychiatry 24. Reproductive health 25. Oncology 26. Nuclear Medicine
|2.||Agriculture/Allied field||1.Agriculture and Agro Technology 2.Agronomy 3.Forestry 4.Floriculture & Landscaping 5.Food Sciences & Technology 6.Forestry & Natural Resources 7.Horticulture 8.Plant Pathology 9.Farm Power & Machinery 11.Veterinary Sciences 12.Soils & Water Management 13.Plant Breeding & Genetics 14.Small-scale Rural Technology|
|3.||Humanities and Social Science||1. Economics 2. Anthropology 3. Sociology 4.Journalism & Mass Communication|
|4.||Pure Science/Applied Science||1. Ocean and Atmospheric Science 2. Mathematics 3. Molecular Biology 4. Physics 5.Chemistry|
1. Corporate Finance 2. Development Finance 3.Business management
(a) For Post-Doctoral Research – 55% marks or equivalent grade in relevant Master’s Degree and Ph. D. 5 years’ – Research/Teaching/ Professional experience in the concerned field is desirable. Candidates with experience would be given preference.
(b) For Ph.D. – 55% marks or equivalent grade in relevant Master’s Degree. 2 years’ – Teaching/Research/Professional /M. Phil Degree experience in the concerned field is desirable. Candidates with experience would be given preference.
(c) For Master Degree – 55% marks or equivalent grade in relevant Bachelor’s Degree. 2 years’ work experience in the concerned field is desirable. Candidates with experience would be given preference.
Age: Below 35 years, as on 01.07.2014
Income Ceiling: Total Income from all sources of the employed candidate or his / her parents /guardians should not exceed Rs. 6.00 lakh per annum (excluding such allowances as are not treated as part of total income for the purpose of income-tax) as certified by the employer. A copy of latest tax – assessment, be also enclosed with application.
Duration of the Course:
(a) Post-Doctoral Research : 1 & ½ years (One and a half year).
(b) Ph.D. : 4 Years (Four years)
(c) Master Degree : 1/2/3 Years (One/Two/Three years) depending upon the duration of the Course.
The extension of stay beyond prescribed period for levels of courses as mentioned above, may be considered without financial assistance of any kind except the air passage to return to India, if and only if recommendation of the competent concerned authority in the educational institution/ university as well as the Indian Mission abroad is received certifying that such an overstay for a specified period, is absolutely essential for facilitating the candidate to complete the course. The final decision in this regard will, however, rest with the Government of India alone.
- Only one child of the same parents/guardians will be eligible and to this effect a self-certification will be required from the candidate.
- Selected candidates will be required to execute a bond with at least two Sureties of an amount of Rs.50,000/- each or the actual amount spent by Government of India, whichever is more.
- The award can be availed by the candidate only once under the scheme. The awardees will be governed by the regulations of the Scheme.
- The Candidates will have to make their own efforts in getting admission in an accredited University/Institution abroad through websites.
- Candidates who are in employed in Government/PSUs/Other organizations must forward their applications through their employer along with a ‘No Objection Certificate’ (NOC) by the employer. In case of final selection, the employed awardee himself/herself has to resolve all administrative matters like study leave, salary etc. with his/her employer.
- The Applications should be complete in all respects and should be accompanied by all relevant documents. Applications, incomplete in any respect, are liable to be rejected. The applications received after the last date will not be considered.
- Applications should reach the following office within 30 days from the date of publication of this advertisement in the Employment News or 15.04.2015 whichever comes later. (For the year 2014-15)
Self-Attested copies of the following documents should be enclosed with the applications:-
- a) Matriculation or other Certificate as proof for date of birth;
- b) ST Certificate from Competent Authority;
- c) All Degrees/Diplomas/Certificate with mark sheets; and
- d) Income Certificate in the prescribed format.
In case of Passage Grant: Additional information with a statement indicating;
(i) Details of merit scholarship and the manner in which it has been obtained; and
(ii) Self attested copy of the letter of the award.
Revised Scheme National Overseas Scholarship for ST candidates
- Adivasi communities’ legal battle against the Singareni Coal Mine reveals violation of environmental laws and threat to human-animal life - March 19, 2023
- “Dhumkudiya—an Adivasi dialogue series” invites papers for its Fourth conference - September 10, 2021
- “धुमकुड़िया—एक आदिवासी संवाद श्रृंखला” अपने चौथे सम्मेलन के लिए शोध पत्र आमंत्रित करती है - September 10, 2021